wikileaks and first amendment


TOPIC 1: FIRST AMENDMENT, COPYRIGHT AND FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

The most surprising thing that I found in RiP was the point when they spoke about Napster and how many people got in legal trouble for it. Many people said that chose to settle the case but the one family decided to go to court and was fined for each song they downloaded. When I was a kid we always talked about using LimeWire to download music, all my friends did it but I was just a bit too young to understand it, whenever I wanted music I would download the audio from music on YouTube and use that.
After watching the documentary, I would like to know more about copyright laws and blogs, also the film is quite dated at this point, so I would like to know more about how the laws have or have not changed.
The song Black Cow by Steely Dan has a wonderful original beat that was taken by Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz to help create their song Déjà vu. In my opinion the reason their song got any popularity was from the beat, and the beat was barely changed.
I don’t think anything should be done now, it was a long time ago and nobody involved seems to mind so why should I.

TOPIC 2: WIKILEAKS

I believe that the actions by Wikileaks were good. I feel this way because it is hard to find unbiased news today and WikiLeaks shows the source material before any news station can get their opinions on it.
An example would include anything that requires an opinion. News stations frequently run stories and inject their opinion, so they can try to sway you to believe something they want you to. When you see the same material but on WikiLeaks you get to form an opinion yourself.
How do you feel about the current state of free speech, access to information/internet or freedom of expression/creativity? Be specific about your stance (e.g. I'm fine because ... or note why you are concerned by government transparency or restrictive copyright rules ... or new FCC rules on net neutrality ...)
I am fine with the current state of free speech because until this point nothing has been done to affect the way I currently speak or what I currently do. The day that I am stopped from doing something I normally do is the day I think that free speech needs changing. An example would be if I went to a rally or a demonstration and was forcefully removed for reason I believed unjust then I would be angry and think free speech should be changed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

aug 16 media blog

Media Blog project topic 1