MEDIA BLOG FORUM 2

TOPIC 1: SOCIAL MEDIA

List 3 people/organizations you follow and WHY.
@normmacdonald  @daifuku_channel  @boenyeah

Firstly I follow comedian Norm Macdonald because he is my favorite comedian and I like to see updates for his shows and general opinions of his.
Secondly @daifuku_channel is a twitter account for a dog, specifically a Shiba Inu. They post pictures of the dog and it is very cute so I follow them.
Last is my favorite singer/artist @boenyeah. I follow him to get updates on all the new things he puts out

What's the best "tweet” or status update you've seen lately? In other words, what were you tempted to "retweet” or "like”? WHY did that stand out to you?
https://twitter.com/daifuku_channel/status/1014888639023599616
it’s just a real cute picture of a dog.

Some experts talk about social media empowering people and strengthening democracy. Others aren't so sure, given a tendency to create our own "echo chambers." With your connections on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, Pinterest, Yahoo Fantasy Sports, Google+ or just through texting ... Do you feel social media has enhanced your ability to take action or participate in democracy, government or other activities? Discuss and give an EXAMPLE. Or spell out why you don't feel you need these social media, or even intentionally avoid them!

Back in the day when I first started using social media I saw many more posts by people than I do nowadays about things that I didn’t want to see or things that were controversial. More recently I have removed all those people because most of what they posted was things I didn’t want to see. Many of the things that were posted before that I am no longer seeing were political things and now that I don’t see them I don’t think of them as often. The posts I saw before about politics and government and such never caused me to act any differently or to do anything. I understand that what I am doing is not in the spirit of democracy and it also negatively effects the voice of the people but I am okay with that.

TOPIC 2: THE INTERNET

Sherry Turkle talks about us becoming more "connected" than ever before, and yet we may be setting ourselves up to become more isolated. Share your thoughts on Turkle's talk, including a few EXAMPLES. Have you, your family and others "reclaimed" areas of home, work or play for conversations -- or declared those spaces device-free zones? Have you taken steps to ensure that you are really listening to others?
I agree that many of today’s youth and even everybody who uses cell phones and computers for social media have lost touch with reality to a certain degree. I haven’t had to “reclaim” areas of my home because the people I live with realize that dividing attention to you and their phones is somewhat rude. Thankfully that is the case because I have no control over what my roommates do because I have no authority over them and even if I did I would never try to restrict them like that.  As for steps to ensure that I am really listening to others I don’t need any sort of steps because this is just something I have been doing my entire life.

When it comes to digital gaming ... How many games have you downloaded to your smartphone or computer? What games do you most enjoy playing (e.g. Fantasy baseball? Words with Friends? Candy Crush? League of Legends?) and WHY?
The only game I really play is Super Smash Brothers Melee which is played in person with other people. Every week we meet up on Fridays at OSU and play games and hangout. The reason I play this game is because of the social aspect, I really enjoy hanging out with all these people who have a similar interest as me.

How many hours a week do you think you spend on digital gaming and social networking? Do you feel like you are part of an online community? Discuss that "community" aspect of gaming. Or maybe you're too busy with other commitments/interests in your life ... and don't see the point of wasting so much time online or on the phone ... Say more about that ...
I spend about one hour a week at most on those things. I used to play a lot of online games and was part of online communities and such and I found it to be pretty entertaining for a long time. Nowadays I don’t play many online games because I stopped having interest in them and decided to do more things in person that I enjoyed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

aug 16 media blog

Media Blog project topic 1

wk 5 blogpost